I have so far not found a deterrent that is effective, including keeping food away from them and blocking entries.

Victor has a new trap out that actually hides the bait in a hole, forcing the mouse to put his or her head where the trap is most likely to kill quickly, whereas other traps can catch parts of the mouse without killing them.

Of course I still prefer deterrents…so will try that new one if they ship to Canada, but if one must use a kill trap it might be worthwhile to look for this new version.  It is called “Quick-Kill” and the model number is M1 40 C. http://www.thetoolstore.ca/viewItem.asp?idProduct=18354 .  I have not used it, but when I examined the mechanics of all the mouse kill traps available locally here in the Greater Toronto Area, it struck me as the best designed to assure that the mouse is struck lethally by the kill-bar (bright red in the models I’ve seen, but black in the picture on the URL I gave) and not simply caught by a leg.

Agreed, a sure fire deterrent would be a big seller…the time is ripe for an entrepreneur to get busy.

Now, where did I put my ammonia, cayenne pepper, mint, moth balls…

Barry