Entomological Society of America

Graduate Student Endowment
 Fund Raising Drive 2014
Dear ECN member,
I just wanted to update you on the state of the ESA Systematics Evolution and Biodiversity (SysEB) Graduate Student endowment for 2014. The Endowment is now a Permanent Restricted Fund embedded in the ESA general fund, thus it has the advantage of  being managed within a >$4 million interest bearing account. Thanks to some very generous donations, including an anonymous donation in 2014 of $10K, the total endowment is now just over $42K. This past September, we have just had our first interest payout of the fund ($1545), and this will be used to sponsor an additional student research travel award in 2015. The travel awards are based on a competitive process managed by the SysEB executive (see http://www.entsoc.org/governance/other/sections/syseb).
As we come to a close of the 2014 tax year, I hope that you would consider making a donation to the endowment. We are still a long way from my personal goal of $100,000 (only $58K to go). A $100K endowment could sponsor two $2000 research travel awards. Of course, just think what one million dollars could do... :-).
Sincerely,

John Heraty

Endowment Organizer

[cid:[log in to unmask]]