The only records I've seen use the parent's first name (primarily the
father's, metronymics are very very rare). Nicknames change, first names
don't, and the point of a surname is to show who you belong to. Whose
family you are from.

Gabriel

On Fri, Nov 7, 2014, at 02:19 PM, Dorcas Whitecap wrote:
> I don't know for sure. I would ask the Viking Answer Lady, and I would
> post the question to various heraldry email lists. You can do the
> first, (http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/ONNames.shtml) and I'll do the
> second for you, if you'd like.
>
> D^
>
> On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 1:22 PM, Caitlin Smith
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> ... snip ...

>> On a related note, can Norse -dottirs use the parent's nickname, or
>> only first name? (I'm now picturing Ingeborg Beinlessdottir, although
>> that might fall into presumption.)

>> ... snip ...
>
> --
lists do not accept incoming email from Yahoo.com, AOL.com or
Dropbox.com due to their DMARC policies.

--
Patrick Anderson [log in to unmask] "No matter how much you feed the
wolf, he keeps looking at the forest." --Ilse Lehiste