Dorcas did things I haven't heard of before!
Tell us about them, please, Mistress Heraldry Goob.

-Ingeborg

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 6:49 PM, Jeremy Sacksteder <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Greetings to All,

The Armorial and Saker website have been updated to reflect the items in this LOAR.

In Service,

Gunnar Thorisson
Vert Hawk Herald

CALONTIR acceptances
* Áed of Forgotten Sea. Holding name and device (see PENDS for name). Per bend rayonny azure and gules, an eagle and three mullets argent.
This complex low-contrast line of division is identifiable here and thus registerable.
Please advise the submitter to draw some internal detailing on the eagle.
Submitted under the name Áed mac Néill.
* Chiara di Paxiti. Name (see RETURNS for device).

* Dorcas Whitecap. Blanket permission to conflict by identity with name.
Dorcas grants permission to conflict for any name that is at least a syllable different from her registered name.
* Dorcas Whitecap. Blanket permission to conflict by relationship with name.
Dorcas grants permission to use her registered name in part of another name, thus creating a claim of relationship. Such a permission to conflict is covered in PN3E and Appendix D of SENA.
* Dorcas Whitecap. Heraldic will.
Upon her death, Dorcas's heraldic will transfers control of her currently registered items to the office of the Gold Falcon Principal Herald of the Kingdom of Calontir.
* Emeline de Moulineaux. Device. Argent, an arrow inverted bendwise sinister sable surmounted by a gillyflower gules, a bordure vert.

* Faustus Cantilius Lupus. Device. Or, a pale between two wolves sejant respectant ululant gules.
There is a step from period practice for the use of the ululant posture.
* Iaan Sørensen. Name and device. Per bend gules and argent, two lizards tergiant bendwise argent and sable.
Submitted as Iaan Sorenson, the submitter requested the spelling Sørensen if it could be supported. This spelling was supported by examples in the Letter of Intent and in commentary. Therefore, we have made this change.
Nice 15th century Norwegian name!
* Isibél inghean Dáire. Device. Per saltire sable and azure, four natural seahorses argent.

* Judur bint 'Abd al-Wahid. Device change. Argent, on a fess between a lozenge ployé and a chalice azure, an Arabic penbox argent.
The submitter's old device, Per pale argent and azure, a chevron inverted and in chief a rose counterchanged, is retained as a badge.
There is a step from period practice for the use of an Arabic penbox.
* Jutte Roose van der Brugghe. Name.

* Khalil ibn Abd'l-Wahid al-Katib. Name change from Cesare di Lodovico Malefici.
Submitted as Khalil abd'l-Wahid al-Katib, the submitter requested authenticity for "10th century Al Andalus/Maghrebi". This request was not stated in the Letter of Intent. The submitted name uses two given name elements, Khalil and Abd'l (which we have capitalized). However, we do not have evidence of double given names in Arabic, so this pattern is not registerable.
In the Pelican decision meeting, Siren documented both Khalil ibn Abd'l-Wahid al-Katib and Abu Khalil Abd'l-Wahid al-Katib. We have changed the name to the former in order to register the name, as it is a smaller change. The elements are all found in al-Andalus between the 9th and 12th centuries, but we do not know if it meets the submitter's request for a 10th century name.
The submitter's previous name, Cesare di Lodovico Malefici, is retained as an alternate name.
* Matthaios Dauid diakonos. Name change from Lucius Angelini de Santa Croce.
Submitted as Matthaios Dauid o Diakonia, the submitter requested authenticity for 6th century Greek. The byname o Diakonia is constructed using the masculine article o with a feminine noun, diakonia. In addition, we were unable to find documentation to show that such a noun could be used as a plausible byname. Green Staff was able to document the occupational byname diakonos ("servant") to late 6th or early 7th century Aphrodisias (in present-day Turkey). We have changed the byname to this form with the submitter's permission in order to meet the request for authenticity.
Green Staff also noted that during the 6th century, "The order indicates that <Matthaios> is either the father's name or a Christian name chosen on baptism. If he wants his given name to be <Matthaios>, he should go by <Dauid Matthaios diakonos>."
The submitter's previous name, Lucius Angelini de Santa Croce, is released.
* Monday Fayrandgode. Name and device. Quarterly azure and vert, a peacock close to sinister regardant Or.
This submission does not conflict with the device of John Aquila of Eaglesdown: Purpure, an eagle close to sinister Or. There is one DC for the field, and one for the difference between a peacock and an eagle.
* Owain ap Blethyn Llwyd. Augmentation of arms. Purpure, a chevron between three feathers and as augmentation in chief a cross of Calatrava Or.

* Søren atte Raven. Badge. (Fieldless) An arrow bendwise inverted Or winged sable.

* Tigernán Otterburn. Name and device. Per bend azure and gules, on a bend argent between two phoenixes Or a brown otter passant proper.
This name combines a Gaelic given name and Scots byname. This is an acceptable lingual mix under Appendix C of SENA.
* Wulfhere of Eofeshamme. Device. Or, two bendlets between two oak leaves vert.

* Wulfhere of Eofeshamme. Badge. (Fieldless) A bend couped Or surmounted by an oak leaf vert.

CALONTIR returns
* Chiara di Paxiti. Device. Argent, a butterfly and on a chief invected purpure three feathers argent.
This device is returned for redraw, for violating SENA A2C2 which states "Elements must be drawn to be identifiable." Here the feathers on the chief are not identifiable because too small. On resubmission, this could likely be solved by having a single feather fesswise, or by decreasing the number of invections so the feathers can lie on a slightly larger portion of the chief.
* Gan Ystmelhaiijin. Name.
The submitter requested authenticity for a 13th century Mongol name and expressed a desire for a name meaning "Steel Turtle". Unfortunately, we have no evidence of a name element meaning "turtle" in period Mongolian, nor could a period equivalent be found by commenters or those present at the Pelican decision meeting. Therefore, we are unable to register this name and cannot meet the authenticity request.
We note that there is an epithet meaning "tortoise": Chingis/Chinggis. This element appears to be unique, only referring to Chingis (normal Anglicized as Ghengis) Khan. We decline to rule whether this element would be presumptuous.

CALONTIR pends
* Áed mac Néill. Name.
As the submitted name is the name of two 9th century high kings of Ireland, this submission is being pended to discuss whether it is presumptuous under PN4D, Claim of Identity or Close Relationship with an Important Non-SCA Person:
Sovereign rulers of significant states are generally important enough to protect. Some historical city-states are not considered significant states. Provinces or regions integrated into larger units like the Holy Roman Empire are not generally considered significant states. Sovereigns of small states that did not give rise directly to modern countries will not be protected under this clause, nor will legendary kings of any state (though these kings may be individually important enough to protect).
An earlier precedent states:
Precedent about how we protect sovereign rulers has been somewhat contradictory over time. In the November 2004 Cover Letter, Laurel wrote "Sovereigns of nations and empires (Kings, Queens, Khans) are always important enough to protect."
However, there are many insignificant period nations, which disappeared over time into the modern nation-states we know. There were, for example, over 30 taifa kingdoms in 11th century al-Andalus, over 20 kingdoms in Anglo-Saxon England at various points, over 20 kingdoms in 9th century Norway, and six major and over 20 minor kingdoms in pre-Norman Wales. Similar numbers of kingdoms could be identified in other parts of Europe as well. Given the large number of these kingdoms and their relative lack of fame, it is difficult to simply find or create lists of all these rulers of these sovereign states. Because of that problem, Laurel has rarely protected the rulers of these states unless a commenter was interested in the region and went looking for such a ruler. Moreover, on the rare occasion that such a return was made, the sovereign ruler was usually someone most people did not recognize, let alone see as important enough to protect.
Therefore, we are modifying precedent about sovereign rulers: we protect historical rulers of nations that give rise to currently existing countries (including entities like England, Castile, and Aragon) and of nations that play an important role in medieval history but did not survive (Burgundy, Scotland, the Holy Roman Empire, and the like). Sovereigns of small period states that did not give rise directly to modern countries (Deheubarth, Asturias, Valencia, Connacht, Urbino) will be protected only if the individual's fame rises to the point that they personally are important enough to protect. This includes Italian city states and the French duchies. Similarly sovereigns of provinces or regions integrated into larger units like the Holy Roman Empire will be protected only if the individual's fame rises to the point that they personally are important enough to protect.
A similar problem exists with legendary rulers. The Gaelic Lebor Gabála Érenn alone lists over 100 legendary kings of Ireland. The Danish Gesta Danorum lists over 50 legendary kings of the Danes. Geoffrey of Monmouth lists over 75 kings of Britain before the Roman invasion in the 1st century BC. Unless a commenter is interested in checking these sources, we do not find out about these possible conflicts.
Therefore, we are modifying precedent about sovereign rulers here as well: legendary rulers, even of significant nations, will be protected only if the individual's fame rises to the point that they personally are important enough to protect. [July 2011 Cover Letter]
As the present submission is identical to the names of two historical rulers, we are pending it to discuss the issue of presumption more fully. We are also pending this name to discuss when a ruler becomes real enough (i.e., non-legendary) to protect.
His device has been registered under the holding name Áed of Forgotten Sea.
This was item 1 on the Calontir letter of June 23, 2014.