One of the requirements for registering a name or device in the SCA is that
it must be unique.  When a submitted item is too much like something that
is already registered, that failure of uniqueness is referred to as a
conflict.  Two of the items I registered below are referred to as "Blanket
Permission to Conflict".

There are a couple of kinds of conflict when talking about names.  Identity
conflict is when two people share a name, like Duncan.  A simple way to
clear this conflict is to add some kind of descriptor, like “Eardstapa” or
“of Skeene”, or a surname, like “Mac Torquill”.  But identity conflict
might happen when two names aren’t exactly alike, but close enough to be
confusing.  Imagine “Duncan Mac Torquill” and  “Duncan MacTorville” both
fighting in the Toys for Tots tournament!  Therefore, SCA rules say that to
be clear of identity conflict, two names must be substantially different in
both sound and appearance.  Now, Duncan Mac Torquill could grant permission
for somebody to register the name Duncan MacTorville.  There’s a process
for the other person to ask for a Letter of Permission to Conflict.  He
might not get it, but it’s worth asking.  One of my Blanket Permissions
below simply removes the need for somebody to track me down and explicitly
ask me if it’s okay to register a name like “Dorcas Lightcap” or “Fnorcas
Whitecap”.  My personal feeling is that I’m fine with that.  YMMV.

Another kind of name conflict is by relationship.  Relationship conflict is
when names make two people appear to be related, by marriage or by
blood.  “Rhianwen
ferch Bran ap Gruffydd” is the daughter of Bran, who is the son of Gruffydd.
This name can be registered as long as there is nobody with the registered
name of “Bran ap Gruffydd”, or if there is, he grants permission for
Rhianwen to register a name that implies she is his daughter.  My second
Blanket Permission below again removes the need for somebody to track me
down to explicitly ask me if it’s okay to register a name like “John
DorcasWhitecapson”.  Okay, that name has other problems, but relationship
conflict isn’t one of them, since my Blanket Permission is on record.

The third item I registered below is a Heraldic Will.  If I’m not around to
decide what to do with my name and armory, Gold Falcon gets to decide.  I
could register a Blanket Permission to conflict with my device, like I have
done with my name, but I don’t care to.  If somebody wants to register a
device that looks like mine, after I’m dead I don’t imagine I’ll need it,
so some future Gold Falcon can grant that permission.  You can will your
heraldry to anybody, not just another herald.

Registering a Heraldic Will or a Blanket Permission to Conflict doesn’t
cost anything.  Doing so is an act of generosity and kindness toward future
SCAdians.  Somebody might come up with a really cool name or device, and
you might not think that it conflicts with yours, or might not mind, but if
they can’t find you to get your permission, they are out of luck.  See your
local herald about registering a Heraldic Will or Blanket Permission to
Conflict today!

Thanks for asking.

D^