Thank you for a good summary of things.

We used to do the “whack a knight” booth at demos and Ren Fairs.  Now I can see why it may have stopped. I had figured it had just gone out of fashion.

“Insurance” had been an ongoing point of controversy in the 25 years I’ve been in the Society.  It’s nice to see some logical explanations, or as logical as mundane law lets things get.

For years, the SCA rules have been written in a very reactionary way.  Rules changed or got added only after some problem actually happened. Unfortunately, the new preemptive pattern also tends to have problems in being overly negative. Eliminating good things on the chance that something might happen. i.e.: the water bearing and Chirurgeon changes.

I will add your comments to the 4-newcomers-msg file in the Florilegium to help folks in the future. But if someone would like to write me an article on this, I’d love to have it.

Stefan