I found that I really enjoyed the smocking stitches, but marking out thousands of dots and running the gathering stitches by hand was not fun for me. The pleater does the boring (to me) part quickly and consistently. They're expensive, though, and I don't do very much smocking, so I can't justify buying new.
Here is a link to more info. https://www.sewfancy.com/smockingPleaters.htm

Gwendolyn
Sent from my iPhone