Hi Linda,
My mentor John Dioszegi invented a great mounting system where the female
part of the tripod mount is embedded in a small piece of wood, then the
wood glued to a piece of Gatorboard; this gives you a nice light base
(whatever size you want) which turns with the total freedom of your
tripod's universal joint.  I made a number of these (very inexpensive)
mounts for students and would be happy to send you one.

If anyone would like more detailed instructions please let me know.
Marlene

On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 3:01 PM, Linda Feltner <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Hi All:
> I've seen a number of setups for plein aire painting with tripods, and I
> wondered if anyone had, or could recall any articles on a platform device
> for a sketchbook that attached to a tripod head?
>
> I don't want to use my portable french easel, or small pochade box. I have
> a new small and lightweight tripod, and SOME where I saw something about an
> attachment used as a sketchbook platform..
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks
> Linda
> Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC