I'm a birder too, and I visited the Galapagos in April and thought it was
spectacular. It's true that the total number of species is low compared to
other places (on land and in the air, that is - marine life is another
story), but the quality of animal sitings is amazing, in part because most
of the wildlife has very little fear of people. The islands are so wild and
beautiful, and they vary so much - some really lush, some desert-like and
covered in cactus trees, some recent black volcanic stone. I can't imagine
that there are many wildlife artists or photographers who wouldn't love it
there. If I get to go back (I certainly want to!) I would LOVE to go with a
group of illustrators.

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 9:59 AM, Linda Feltner <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> I don't think it's called strictly a birding tour.
> I'm a hard-core birder, and I've birded in mainland Ecuador, and yes it's
> a stupendous place to bird. But the Galapagos can be a pilgrimage for some.
> I would LOVE to go. To walk the ground, smell the vegetation and warm
> rocks, taste the salt sea air. I'd cherish the experience of watching
> swimming iguanas, examine those moving boulders with large legs and
> incredible faces. It's an experience, made unique by it's history. Yes it's
> hard to get there if you don't like boats, and yes tourism is prevelant.
> But I'd LOVE to go despite the lack of bird diversity. There are four days
> "exploring" (birding if you will) in the interior. Having been a birding
> tour leader, and co-owner of a birding tour company, sounds like an all
> around package. Not strictly birds.
>

> Best,
> Linda
> _____________________
> Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC
> P.O. Box 325
> Hereford, AZ 85615
> (520) 803-0538
> www.lindafeltner.com
>

> On Nov 10, 2014, at 7:22 PM, Bruce Bartrug wrote:
>
>  why go to the islands where there's a handful of sea birds and a few
> finches.

> instructions at

Carolyn K. Smith
Wildlife Art and Scientific Illustration <http://carolynksmith.com>