I'm a birder too, and I visited the Galapagos in April and thought it was spectacular. It's true that the total number of species is low compared to other places (on land and in the air, that is - marine life is another story), but the quality of animal sitings is amazing, in part because most of the wildlife has very little fear of people. The islands are so wild and beautiful, and they vary so much - some really lush, some desert-like and covered in cactus trees, some recent black volcanic stone. I can't imagine that there are many wildlife artists or photographers who wouldn't love it there. If I get to go back (I certainly want to!) I would LOVE to go with a group of illustrators.