- Scientific and naturalistic illustrations: Generalities and comparison.
- Scientific illustration versus photography.
- General drawing workflow.
- Sketching and approaches to naturalistic illustration.
- Drawing basics: Halftone rendering, textures, transparency object shadows, reflected light and cast shadows.
- Drawing tools and media:
- Graphite rendering.
- Field sketching (naturalistic illustration).
- Introduction to computer graphics.
- Bitmap graphics software: Main tools, layer workflow.
- Chromatic diagrams, bit depth, colour models and channels, image corrections.
- Vectorial vs. bitmap drawing.
- Vectorial graphics software: Bezier-curve drawing, pattern filling, examples.
- Examples and subjects of scientific illustration.
This course is co-organized by Transmitting Science and the Institut Catalá de Paleontologia M. Crusafont. Place are limited and will be covered by strict registration order.
Need to leave or subscribe to the Sciart-L listserv? Follow the instructions at