From: Entomological Collections Network Listserve [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Michael A. Ivie [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 8:19 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: oldest specimen in a US collection?

I know this thread died a while ago, but I just stumbled on to this 1824 specimen at The Ohio State University

http://hol.osu.edu/spmInfo.html?id=OSUC%20320219

Mike

On 4/30/2014 2:01 PM, Gelhaus,Jon wrote:
All

The Titian Peale Butterfly and Moth Collection here at the Academy of Natural Sciences collection has specimens from the late 1820's and includes a butterfly type described by Say in 1828.  Since Peale illustrated this specimen for Say's American Entomology we have to assume the specimen was collected sometime before 1828.  All of these specimens and data are viewable and searchable online, so feel free to use this resource for students.

http://clade.ansp.org/entomology/collections/peale/peale.php?mode=specimen&box=1A&cork=12

The illustration of this specimen is available here:

http://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/510d47da-64fb-a3d9-e040-e00a18064a99

We are just finishing a species inventory of the Academy's entomology collection.  We are now exceeding 106,000 species, about 10% of the described insects.  At once a magnificent collection  106,000 species!, and at the same time certainly not enough with only 10% of described insect species referenced.  This species inventory database can be searched through the link below.  It also links with the Peale Collection and our Type Collection databases.

Yes  we have not been at this endeavor very long trying to understand our nation's insect biodiversity.

Best wishes

Jon Gelhaus

Jon K. Gelhaus, Ph.D.
Professor, Biodiversity, Earth and Environmental Sciences
Curator of Entomology
The Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University
1900 Ben Franklin Parkway
Philadelphia, PA, USA  19103-1195
215-299-1141<tel:215-299-1141>; 215-299-1079<tel:215-299-1079> FAX
j<mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>; [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Search the Entomology Collection at:
http://symbiont.ansp.org/entomology/

web:http://www.drexel.edu/bees/contact/facultyDirectory/Gelhaus/<http://clade.acnatsci.org/gelhaus>

Mongolian Aquatic Insect Survey:
      http://clade.acnatsci.org/mongolia

Research Associate, Smithsonian Institution

[http://LISTSERV.UNL.EDU/archives/images/b-lpowered.gif]<http://www.lsoft.com/products/listserv-powered.asp>

Michael A. Ivie, Ph.D., F.R.E.S.

Montana Entomology Collection
Marsh Labs, Room 50