Frank,

Funny, I know several Luggers/Lugers in California and Ohio.  I agree the date is probably wrong, but as of yet, we don't know.  If I remember correctly, Huber was also German?  I will check on that.  The answer to this is probably in the card files David Furth is digitizing at the NMNH.  If it was Otto, the data are probably in the 1885-1888 card records.

Mike
From: [log in to unmask] [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, November 27, 2014 10:30 PM
To: Ivie, Michael; [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: oldest specimen in a US collection?

Mike,
I grew up (somewhat) in Germany for three decades and have never met anyone called Lugger. This name is not too common, I guess. I never heard it before I came across Otto, but I am a southerner and that naval name might be more common in the north.
Still, it would be a remarkable coincidence to have two insect collectors with a rather uncommon German name and the same initial collecting in the same part of the world half a century apart. Whatever, nothing is impossible, but typos or misread handwriting is not uncommon.
Frank

Dr. Frank-T. Krell
Curator of Entomology
Chair, ICZN ZooBank Committee