Also, you all might want to contact M. Don Hans Durmast von der Wanderlust who lives in An Tir.  He is one of the few that I know of receiving a Laurel for his practice of his martial art of Fence and the research he did on period use and technique.  He could give you some very valuable insight to this issue.  Part of his early research (nearly 20 years ago) was on finding mundane patents of arms that had been given in the area of rapier combat.  He and his group found 2 distinct different references, but the 3rd eluded them for quite a while.  You owe it to yourselves to ask this Gentleman what he thinks about it and why.

YiS,
 M. Jalali of Salamis, OL Ansteorra.

From: Patricia Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, December 4, 2014 11:00 AM
Subject: Re: [CALONTIR] Proposed Peerage for Masters of Defense

Greetings to the List,

 All I can tell you is do not base your ideas & opinions solely on your own kingdom.  Be sure to see how the other kingdoms are responding to this issue as well.  Calon does not yet have a long-standing Rapier community.  It is realitively very new. Other kingdoms that have long-standing programs will look at the issue quite differently.  All I ask it that before there are sharp reactions, be sure that you know the larger picture.  This decision will  not be made or dismissed by the few.  Whether you are pro or con matters not to me, just  be sure when you  make decisions or commentary, that they are informed ones.

YiS
M. Jalali of Salamis, Ansteorra