 >It is my thought that six peerages is ludicrous, and four peerages (as
 >currently proposed) is unsustainable.
 >Whether there should be three peerages, with or without recognition of
 >"ancillary martial arts", or four peerages with the fourth including all
 >three of those activities is a reasonable question to discuss. The
current
 >proposal condemns the Society to another decade arguing what is worth
a peerage.

I've occasionally thought that the best way to do this is reduce everything
to one peerage. You become a Master/Mistress of the SCA. There are no
Laurels for metalworking, there are just Laurels; there are Pelicans,
not Pelicans
for paper-pushing; Chivalry for rattan? Nope, just Chiv; ditto
Masterhood....

One Peerage covering everyone. It would avoid the whole brouhaha about
whether or not equestrianing or arching or fencing or rattaning should
join this
order or that order or have their own; and it would cover _all_ future
issues.

The scroll would, of course, if the recipient wished it, include the
fields for
which the peerage is being given, much as (at least in Calontir) AoA and
GoA scrolls do know.

....and it would cover previous lapses in historical knowledge (I
believe the
MSCA was pretty much a spur-of-the-moment creation, because the person
being knighted, errr, mastered was in seminary and could not swear fealty
to any earthly person). They didn't give out differenced peerages in
period, they
gave out one. So should we.

[Permission is hereby granted to improve this argument, correct any
historical
mistakes, pass it along for amusement, and/or jump all over me,
"courteously".]
:-)

Alban