On 12/8/2014 3:20 PM, Maerwynn of Holme wrote:
> Tibor,
>
> I agree. The survey was particularly bad.  Going from memory, I also
> seem to remember that the next set of questions then was skewed toward
> a rapier-only peerage.
>
> I'm always hoping for a lack of purposeful nastiness. What's that law
> about malice vs. stupidity (Elasait, I associate it with you for some
> reason?). You have to work really HARD to have a semblance of balance
> in a survey, and even then, the cat is out of the bag, so to speak.
> Once you're looking for answers to a certain question, you're already
> biased. What you call the survey can bias your audience, etc.

Never assume malice where stupidity will adequately explain things.
Never assume stupidity when communication failure will explain things.
Always assume communication failure, even when it seems unlikely.  It's
from my article "Stuff I Learned The Hard Way" which appears in the
Calontir seneschals' handbook.  It's been reprinted a couple of other
places too.

Elasait