Well of course you probably already know about Sidney Parkinson, who
accompanied captain James Cook on Cook's first voyage of circumnavigation.
The official botanist on the trip was Joseph Banks, but it was Sydney who
drew plants as fast and furiously as he could as they were brought on
board. Sydney did not survive the trip, but his drawings live on…

Other names that come to mind are: Alexander von Humboldt, and Ferdinand
Bauer (Ferdinand's brother Franz is also famous for drawing plants, but not
for going exploring to get them).

Jenny

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 9:21 AM, Amy J. Gagnon <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> A few years ago I read *Kate Furbish and the Flora of Maine*, which lead
> to reading *Margaret Mee's Amazon*, both were fascinating.  Mark Catesby
> was another interesting one.  I wondered if anyone has suggestions for
> books on other similar botanist explorers?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Amy

> instructions at

Jenny Keller
CSU Monterey Bay • 100 Campus Center • Seaside, CA 93955-8001
(831) 582-3480 • (831) 582-4502 fax • scienceillustration.org