Well of course you probably already know about Sidney Parkinson, who accompanied captain James Cook on Cook's first voyage of circumnavigation. The official botanist on the trip was Joseph Banks, but it was Sydney who drew plants as fast and furiously as he could as they were brought on board. Sydney did not survive the trip, but his drawings live on…

Other names that come to mind are: Alexander von Humboldt, and Ferdinand Bauer (Ferdinand's brother Franz is also famous for drawing plants, but not for going exploring to get them).

Jenny