"DRAWING UPON NATURE: Studies for the Blaschkas' Glass Models" shows most of the drawings Rudolf Blaschka made as he travelled around the world "collecting" plants to be made into taxonomically accurate glass models. It's worth reading.

I am partial to Kate Furbish--a woman after my own heart--and gave a presentation on her at the GNSI Ft. Kent meeting. I discovered both her work and living Furbish's Louseworts in the late 70's. You are in Maine, aren't you? Bowdoin houses all her drawings in large folios and will bring them out for you.

I've also enjoyed parts of Audubon's biographies. My favorite moment was after three months of walking, trudging through fields, streams, bogs in winter snow, tribal territories, etc., he says, "'t'would be easier had I shoes". Then there was his wife, home with the kids, managing everything, never knowing when he would return. Hers is a book I wish was written.

Plus all the other great suggestions you've received. Think I'll light a fire, let it snow, and dig into some vicarious adventures.

Cheers,
Gretchen