Hi, Amy   12/11/2014

I'm dropping hints to Santa for this book, which just got a rave review
from The NY Times Book Review (
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/07/books/review/katrina-blairs-wild-wisdom-of-weeds-and-more.html?_r=0
:

Flora Illustrata: Great Works from the LuEsther T. Mertz Library of The New
York Botanical Garden
Edited by Susan M. Fraser and Vanessa Bezemer SellersYale University Press
yalepress.yale.edu/bookprinter.asp?isbn=9780300196627

On Catesby, you can look forward to a beautiful book from the Catesby
Commemorative Trust and University of Georgia Press, due out spring 2015:

The Curious Mister Catesby
A "Truly Ingenious" Naturalist Explores New Worlds

Edited by E. Charles Nelson and David J. Elliott
 http://www.ugapress.org/index.php/books/curious_mister_catesby/1/0

http://vimeo.com/106305692
Full disclosure: I contributed a chapter on Catesby's botanical forerunners
in Virginia and the Carolinas. I've been impressed by the scholarship of
the other contributors and the editors. The color illustrations are, of
course, wonderful.

Finally, for free, you can read online Travels into North America, by Pehr
Kalm (Peter Kalm). Kalm collected plants for Linnaeus and commented on
everything he saw traveling from Philadelphia to Montreal, Quebec, and
Niagara Falls (1748-1751). Here's a link to a fullview open access digital
copy:
http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc2.ark:/13960/t3ws8jd2m;view=1up;seq=7

Travels into North America; containing its natural history, and a
circumstantial account of its plantations and agriculture in general, with
the civil, ecclesiastical and commercial state of the country, the manners
of the inhabitants, and several curious and important remarks on various
subjects. By Peter Kalm... Tr. into English by John Reinhold Forster...
Main Author: Kalm, Pehr, 1716-1779.
Language(s): English
Published: London, T. Lowndes, 1772.
Edition: 2d ed.
[For Kalm's first impressions of plants in America, jump to p. 24. After
that, browse anywhere.]

Karen

Karen Reeds, PhD, FLS
Peter Kalm’s New Jersey, 1748-1751
NJ350 Publication Initiative grant, New Jersey Historical Commission
Princeton Research Forum, a community of independent scholars:
http://www.princetonresearchforum.org/