Hi, Amy   12/11/2014

I'm dropping hints to Santa for this book, which just got a rave review from The NY Times Book Review (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/07/books/review/katrina-blairs-wild-wisdom-of-weeds-and-more.html?_r=0 :

Flora Illustrata: Great Works from the LuEsther T. Mertz Library of The New York Botanical Garden
Edited by Susan M. Fraser and Vanessa Bezemer Sellers

Yale University Press

yalepress.yale.edu/bookprinter.asp?isbn=9780300196627

On Catesby, you can look forward to a beautiful book from the Catesby Commemorative Trust and University of Georgia Press, due out spring 2015:

The Curious Mister Catesby
A "Truly Ingenious" Naturalist Explores New Worlds

Edited by E. Charles Nelson and David J. Elliott
 http://www.ugapress.org/index.php/books/curious_mister_catesby/1/0

http://vimeo.com/106305692

Full disclosure: I contributed a chapter on Catesby's botanical forerunners in Virginia and the Carolinas. I've been impressed by the scholarship of the other contributors and the editors. The color illustrations are, of course, wonderful.

Finally, for free, you can read online Travels into North America, by Pehr Kalm (Peter Kalm). Kalm collected plants for Linnaeus and commented on everything he saw traveling from Philadelphia to Montreal, Quebec, and Niagara Falls (1748-1751). Here's a link to a fullview open access digital copy:
http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc2.ark:/13960/t3ws8jd2m;view=1up;seq=7

Travels into North America; containing its natural history, and a circumstantial account of its plantations and agriculture in general, with the civil, ecclesiastical and commercial state of the country, the manners of the inhabitants, and several curious and important remarks on various subjects. By Peter Kalm... Tr. into English by John Reinhold Forster...
Main Author: Kalm, Pehr, 1716-1779.
Language(s): English
Published: London, T. Lowndes, 1772.
Edition: 2d ed.
[For Kalm's first impressions of plants in America, jump to p. 24. After that, browse anywhere.]

Karen

Karen Reeds, PhD, FLS
Peter Kalm’s New Jersey, 1748-1751
NJ350 Publication Initiative grant, New Jersey Historical Commission
Princeton Research Forum, a community of independent scholars:
http://www.princetonresearchforum.org/