Print

Print


Hello,
Does anyone know a good program (free or inexpensive, and I do have Excel) for mapping if you have the lat and long coordinates? I'm thinking a program where you can enter the coordinates into a database and it creates a map with points showing those coordinates....
Kind regards,
Sharon

Sharon Birzer | Birzer Studios 

T 206 601 4142 | Seattle

www.sharonbirzer.com

www.gnsinw.org/sharon-birzer.html



From: "SCIART-L automatic digest system" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 10:00:01 PM
Subject: SCIART-L Digest - 9 Dec 2014 to 10 Dec 2014 (#2014-210)

There are 15 messages totaling 1151 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. Usage fees for lectures/presentations (6)
  2. Can't get on to the 2014 Conference site (3)
  3. Great books on botanist explorers & illustrators (5)
  4. Article from the Times re Mars

Need to leave or subscribe to the Sciart-L listserv? Follow the instructions at
http://www.gnsi.org/resources/reviews/gnsi-sciart-l-listserv

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 9 Dec 2014 21:44:29 -0800
From:    David Fierstein <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Usage fees for lectures/presentations

Hello all,

Does anyone have a sense of what to charge for the use of an existing  illustration for an ongoing business presentation of some sort?

Thanks much for any help offered.

David Fierstein

Need to leave or subscribe to the Sciart-L listserv? Follow the instructions at
http://www.gnsi.org/resources/reviews/gnsi-sciart-l-listserv

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Dec 2014 10:59:02 -0500
From:    Britt Griswold <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Usage fees for lectures/presentations

David,

Using the online Stock photos as a starting point, I get $755 from Getty for an internal 5yr presentation usage, and $562 from Corbis for the same. I am not saying this is what you should charge, and this is publicly available information, so don't anyone give me a hard time about mentioning prices.

Seems like a good place to start you deliberations.

Britt


On 12/10/14 12:44 AM, David Fierstein wrote:> Hello all,
>
> Does anyone have a sense of what to charge for the use of an existing  illustration for an ongoing business presentation of some sort?
>
> Thanks much for any help offered.
>
> David Fierstein
>
> Need to leave or subscribe to the Sciart-L listserv? Follow the instructions at
> http://www.gnsi.org/resources/reviews/gnsi-sciart-l-listserv
>
>



Britt Griswold
Manager, http://www.science-art.com
bgriswold_at_science-art.com


Need to leave or subscribe to the Sciart-L listserv? Follow the instructions at
http://www.gnsi.org/resources/reviews/gnsi-sciart-l-listserv

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Dec 2014 11:06:35 -0500
From:    Britt Griswold <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Usage fees for lectures/presentations

PS. This prices go up to $840 from Getty and $900+ from Corbis if the presentation in external marketing collateral.

Britt


----- Original Message -----

David,

Using the online Stock photos as a starting point, I get $755 from Getty for an internal 5yr presentation usage, and $562 from Corbis for the same. I am not saying this is what you should charge, and this is publicly available information, so don't anyone give me a hard time about mentioning prices.

Seems like a good place to start you deliberations.


Britt Griswold
Manager, http://www.science-art.com
bgriswold_at_science-art.com


Need to leave or subscribe to the Sciart-L listserv? Follow the instructions at
http://www.gnsi.org/resources/reviews/gnsi-sciart-l-listserv

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Dec 2014 16:15:38 +0000
From:    Jim Perkins <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Usage fees for lectures/presentations

Another good place to check is Science Source:
http://www.sciencesource.com/

You might be able to search for a similar type of image to find their
current pricing. When searching, make sure to check the RM box (Rights
Managed) and UNcheck the RF box (Royalty Free). Royalty Free images are
typically much cheaper and not reflective of the type of license you are
looking for.

Once you find an image, you can check pricing according to all sorts of
criteria. In your case, they have a Corporate pricing category that lets
you specify if the presentation is for internal use only, external use,
duration of use (6 months, 1 year, etc.), and geographic area (US only,
North America, worldwide).

Jim



On 12/10/14 10:59 AM, "Britt Griswold" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>David,
>
>Using the online Stock photos as a starting point, I get $755 from Getty
>for an internal 5yr presentation usage, and $562 from Corbis for the
>same. I am not saying this is what you should charge, and this is
>publicly available information, so don't anyone give me a hard time about
>mentioning prices.
>
>Seems like a good place to start you deliberations.
>
>Britt
>
>
>On 12/10/14 12:44 AM, David Fierstein wrote:> Hello all,
>>
>> Does anyone have a sense of what to charge for the use of an existing
>>illustration for an ongoing business presentation of some sort?
>>
>> Thanks much for any help offered.
>>
>> David Fierstein
>>
>> Need to leave or subscribe to the Sciart-L listserv? Follow the
>>instructions at
>> http://www.gnsi.org/resources/reviews/gnsi-sciart-l-listserv
>>
>>
>
>
>
>Britt Griswold
>Manager, http://www.science-art.com
>bgriswold_at_science-art.com
>
>
>Need to leave or subscribe to the Sciart-L listserv? Follow the
>instructions at
>http://www.gnsi.org/resources/reviews/gnsi-sciart-l-listserv

Need to leave or subscribe to the Sciart-L listserv? Follow the instructions at
http://www.gnsi.org/resources/reviews/gnsi-sciart-l-listserv

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Dec 2014 11:29:52 -0500
From:    Britt Griswold <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Usage fees for lectures/presentations

Sciencesource.com comes up with $775 for a corporate external presentation for 3 yrs in the US.

Britt Griswold
Manager, http://www.science-art.com
bgriswold_at_science-art.com



Need to leave or subscribe to the Sciart-L listserv? Follow the instructions at
http://www.gnsi.org/resources/reviews/gnsi-sciart-l-listserv

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Dec 2014 08:37:05 -0800
From:    David Fierstein <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Usage fees for lectures/presentations

Dear Britt and Jim,

Thank you for the info! That was super helpful.  I sent them a quote, we'll see what happens.

David

On Dec 10, 2014, at 8:29 AM, Britt Griswold <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Sciencesource.com comes up with $775 for a corporate external presentation for 3 yrs in the US.
>
> Britt Griswold
> Manager, http://www.science-art.com
> bgriswold_at_science-art.com
>
>
>
> Need to leave or subscribe to the Sciart-L listserv? Follow the instructions at
> http://www.gnsi.org/resources/reviews/gnsi-sciart-l-listserv

Need to leave or subscribe to the Sciart-L listserv? Follow the instructions at
http://www.gnsi.org/resources/reviews/gnsi-sciart-l-listserv

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Dec 2014 10:12:23 -0700
From:    Linda Feltner <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Can't get on to the 2014 Conference site

Can anyone please tell me why I cannot get on to the GNSI 2014 conference site.
First it told me that Firefox blocked this site, and did I want to trust it. I said yes.
Now it says "not found".

I'm looking to zoom in and find someone on the group photo. If I can't get on the conference page, does anyone have the link to the group photo page?

super thanks,
Linda
_____________________
Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC
P.O. Box 325
Hereford, AZ 85615
(520) 803-0538
www.lindafeltner.com








Need to leave or subscribe to the Sciart-L listserv? Follow the instructions at
http://www.gnsi.org/resources/reviews/gnsi-sciart-l-listserv

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Dec 2014 12:21:10 -0500
From:    "Amy J. Gagnon" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Great books on botanist explorers & illustrators

A few years ago I read *Kate Furbish and the Flora of Maine*, which lead to
reading *Margaret Mee's Amazon*, both were fascinating.  Mark Catesby was
another interesting one.  I wondered if anyone has suggestions for books on
other similar botanist explorers?

Thanks!

Amy

Need to leave or subscribe to the Sciart-L listserv? Follow the instructions at
http://www.gnsi.org/resources/reviews/gnsi-sciart-l-listserv

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Dec 2014 09:54:09 -0800
From:    Jenny Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Great books on botanist explorers & illustrators

Well of course you probably already know about Sidney Parkinson, who
accompanied captain James Cook on Cook's first voyage of circumnavigation.
The official botanist on the trip was Joseph Banks, but it was Sydney who
drew plants as fast and furiously as he could as they were brought on
board. Sydney did not survive the trip, but his drawings live on…

Other names that come to mind are: Alexander von Humboldt, and Ferdinand
Bauer (Ferdinand's brother Franz is also famous for drawing plants, but not
for going exploring to get them).

Jenny

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 9:21 AM, Amy J. Gagnon <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> A few years ago I read *Kate Furbish and the Flora of Maine*, which lead
> to reading *Margaret Mee's Amazon*, both were fascinating.  Mark Catesby
> was another interesting one.  I wondered if anyone has suggestions for
> books on other similar botanist explorers?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Amy
>
> ________________________________________________
>
> Need to leave or subscribe to the Sciart-L listserv? Follow the
> instructions at
> http://www.gnsi.org/resources/reviews/gnsi-sciart-l-listserv
>



--
Jenny Keller
Program Coordinator and Instructor, Science Illustration Program
CSU Monterey Bay • 100 Campus Center • Seaside, CA 93955-8001
(831) 582-3480 • (831) 582-4502 fax • scienceillustration.org

Need to leave or subscribe to the Sciart-L listserv? Follow the instructions at
http://www.gnsi.org/resources/reviews/gnsi-sciart-l-listserv

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Dec 2014 13:23:47 -0500
From:    Britt Griswold <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Can't get on to the 2014 Conference site

The Conference Website is offline under development. We hope to have it back up and running in January.

Britt

On 12/10/14 12:12 PM, Linda Feltner wrote:
> Can anyone please tell me why I cannot get on to the GNSI 2014 conference site.
> First it told me that Firefox blocked this site, and did I want to trust it. I said yes.
> Now it says "not found".
>
> I'm looking to zoom in and find someone on the group photo. If I can't get on the conference page,
> does anyone have the link to the group photo page?
>
> super thanks,
> Linda

Need to leave or subscribe to the Sciart-L listserv? Follow the instructions at
http://www.gnsi.org/resources/reviews/gnsi-sciart-l-listserv

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Dec 2014 11:27:04 -0700
From:    Linda Feltner <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Can't get on to the 2014 Conference site

Okey dokey, thanks Britt!
Linda
_____________________
Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC
P.O. Box 325
Hereford, AZ 85615
(520) 803-0538
www.lindafeltner.com







On Dec 10, 2014, at 11:23 AM, Britt Griswold wrote:

> The Conference Website is offline under development. We hope to have it back up and running in January.
>
> Britt
>
> On 12/10/14 12:12 PM, Linda Feltner wrote:
>> Can anyone please tell me why I cannot get on to the GNSI 2014 conference site.
>> First it told me that Firefox blocked this site, and did I want to trust it. I said yes.
>> Now it says "not found".
>>
>> I'm looking to zoom in and find someone on the group photo. If I can't get on the conference page,
>> does anyone have the link to the group photo page?
>>
>> super thanks,
>> Linda
>
> Need to leave or subscribe to the Sciart-L listserv? Follow the instructions at
> http://www.gnsi.org/resources/reviews/gnsi-sciart-l-listserv


Need to leave or subscribe to the Sciart-L listserv? Follow the instructions at
http://www.gnsi.org/resources/reviews/gnsi-sciart-l-listserv

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Dec 2014 13:27:24 -0500
From:    "Emily S. Damstra" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Great books on botanist explorers & illustrators

Amy, this one is an amazing (true) story about a female botanist and
explorer:
The Discovery of Jeanne Baret: A Story of Science, the High Seas, and the
First Woman to Circumnavigate the Globe
http://www.amazon.com/Discovery-Jeanne-Baret-Science-Circumnavigate/dp/0307463532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418235853&sr=8-1&keywords=jeanne+botanist

---
*Emily S. Damstra*
natural science illustration
Guelph, Ontario
(519) 616-3654
*[log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>*
www.emilydamstra.com
emilydamstra.wordpress.com

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 12:21 PM, Amy J. Gagnon <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> A few years ago I read *Kate Furbish and the Flora of Maine*, which lead
> to reading *Margaret Mee's Amazon*, both were fascinating.  Mark Catesby
> was another interesting one.  I wondered if anyone has suggestions for
> books on other similar botanist explorers?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Amy
>
> ________________________________________________
>
> Need to leave or subscribe to the Sciart-L listserv? Follow the
> instructions at
> http://www.gnsi.org/resources/reviews/gnsi-sciart-l-listserv
>

Need to leave or subscribe to the Sciart-L listserv? Follow the instructions at
http://www.gnsi.org/resources/reviews/gnsi-sciart-l-listserv

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Dec 2014 12:57:03 -0600
From:    Kathleen Garness <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Great books on botanist explorers & illustrators

I enjoyed the book, the Brother Gardeners, by Andrea Wulf. Some great stories in there about Bartram and the early collectors.

Kathy

On Dec 10, 2014, at 12:27 PM, Emily S. Damstra wrote:

> Amy, this one is an amazing (true) story about a female botanist and explorer:
> The Discovery of Jeanne Baret: A Story of Science, the High Seas, and the First Woman to Circumnavigate the Globe
> http://www.amazon.com/Discovery-Jeanne-Baret-Science-Circumnavigate/dp/0307463532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418235853&sr=8-1&keywords=jeanne+botanist
>
> ---
> Emily S. Damstra
> natural science illustration
> Guelph, Ontario
> (519) 616-3654
> [log in to unmask]
> www.emilydamstra.com
> emilydamstra.wordpress.com
>
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 12:21 PM, Amy J. Gagnon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> A few years ago I read Kate Furbish and the Flora of Maine, which lead to reading Margaret Mee's Amazon, both were fascinating.  Mark Catesby was another interesting one.  I wondered if anyone has suggestions for books on other similar botanist explorers?  


Need to leave or subscribe to the Sciart-L listserv? Follow the instructions at
http://www.gnsi.org/resources/reviews/gnsi-sciart-l-listserv

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Dec 2014 15:09:58 -0500
From:    Bruce Bartrug <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Article from the Times re Mars

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/09/science/-stronger-signs-of-life-on-mars.html?nlid=39547670&src=recpb

--
Bruce Bartrug
Nobleboro, Maine, USA
[log in to unmask]
www.brucebartrug.com

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but
because of those who look on and do nothing.  - Albert Einstein

Need to leave or subscribe to the Sciart-L listserv? Follow the instructions at
http://www.gnsi.org/resources/reviews/gnsi-sciart-l-listserv

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Dec 2014 19:51:31 -0800
From:    Kathleen McKeehen <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Great books on botanist explorers & illustrators

There's a good book about Ferdinand Bauer's adventures--Ferdinand Bauer--The Australian Natural History Drawings by Marlene F. Norst; amazing journey with lots of inadvertent extended stays in various places due to shipwreck...If I remember right, he returned to London with a wombat, though no one was paying much attention since it coincided with Trafalger's victory and the loss of Nelson...Those guys--Parkinson is another favorite of mine--were so gutsy!

On the American side of the water, there were the Bartrams--The Brother Gardeners by Andrea Wulf, and an old book, The Travels of William Bartram edited by Mark Van Doren.  And The Collector, David Douglas and the Natural History of the Northwest.   And Chrysalis, Maria Sibylla Merian and the Secrets of Metamorphosis by Kim Todd; and Flower Hunters by Mary Gribbin and John Gribbin...So many books, so little time...
Kathy
On Dec 10, 2014, at 9:54 AM, Jenny Keller wrote:

> Well of course you probably already know about Sidney Parkinson, who accompanied captain James Cook on Cook's first voyage of circumnavigation. The official botanist on the trip was Joseph Banks, but it was Sydney who drew plants as fast and furiously as he could as they were brought on board. Sydney did not survive the trip, but his drawings live on…
>
> Other names that come to mind are: Alexander von Humboldt, and Ferdinand Bauer (Ferdinand's brother Franz is also famous for drawing plants, but not for going exploring to get them).
>
> Jenny
>
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 9:21 AM, Amy J. Gagnon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> A few years ago I read Kate Furbish and the Flora of Maine, which lead to reading Margaret Mee's Amazon, both were fascinating.  Mark Catesby was another interesting one.  I wondered if anyone has suggestions for books on other similar botanist explorers?  
>
> Thanks!
>
> Amy
> ________________________________________________
>
> Need to leave or subscribe to the Sciart-L listserv? Follow the instructions at
> http://www.gnsi.org/resources/reviews/gnsi-sciart-l-listserv
>
>
>
> --
> Jenny Keller
> Program Coordinator and Instructor, Science Illustration Program
> CSU Monterey Bay • 100 Campus Center • Seaside, CA 93955-8001
> (831) 582-3480 • (831) 582-4502 fax • scienceillustration.org
>
> ________________________________________________
>
> Need to leave or subscribe to the Sciart-L listserv? Follow the instructions at
> http://www.gnsi.org/resources/reviews/gnsi-sciart-l-listserv


[log in to unmask]
360-297-8858
www.florawithfauna.wordpress.com (my website with galleries, info, classes, etc.)
www.science-art.com (portfolio site for Guild of Natural Science Illustrators)





Need to leave or subscribe to the Sciart-L listserv? Follow the instructions at
http://www.gnsi.org/resources/reviews/gnsi-sciart-l-listserv

------------------------------

End of SCIART-L Digest - 9 Dec 2014 to 10 Dec 2014 (#2014-210)
**************************************************************

________________________________________________

Need to leave or subscribe to the Sciart-L listserv? Follow the instructions at
http://www.gnsi.org/resources/reviews/gnsi-sciart-l-listserv