It might be the age of your computer; we put Yosemite on the older iMac and it's running fine, we did do an erase and install first, there were software and OS issues with it. I's 6 years old. So a clean sweep start seemed to help. My husband thinks it's fast enough, as he graduated from his older and less mighty laptop to the iMac, so it might just be relative.

Gail