*Cat Sense*, a book by John Bradshaw, has a great section on the history
of cats and humans.  The
Classical-Greek-through-16th-century-Western-Europe segment is about 12
pages long, and all of chapters two and three are well worth a look even if
you don't like cats, because they highlight how the animals were
perceived in different times and places.

Warning for the very sensitive: while fairly matter-of-fact rather than
graphic, there's some discussion of killing and mention of animal torture.

I wish Bradshaw had included references to more than just "the most
important" of his sources among the academic journal papers, but since the
book is basic enough for a layman like me to understand, and cheap enough
to afford, he doesn't lose many points.

Bradshaw also mentions a couple history books in his "Further Reading" list
that might be of interest to scadians: Engel's *Classical Cats*, and
Vechten's *The Tiger in the House.*

*Mythbusting note:  According to Bradshaw, cats being blamed for the Black
Plague was post-period, and modernly "the black [fur color] mutation is as
common in Germany and France as it is in Greece, Israel, or North Africa,
all of which were outside the influence of the medieval Catholic Church."

-Ingibiorg, who likes cats

P.S.
If you're reading this, Stefan, feel free to add it to the "cats" section
in your florilegium.