Minutes

Meeting of the Calontir Fiber and Needle Guild
Winter Coronation
January 10, 2015

In attendance:
HL Giraude Benet (Guild Head)
Lady Kathryn Wynterbourne (Assistant Guild Head)
HL Johanne of Fisher Gate
HL Kristine Nic Taillier
Lady Judith of Three Rivers
Lady Sibilla Swaine
HL Runa Ketilsdottir
Mistress Esther bat Moshe
Lord Sebastian d’Hinnisdael
Lady Aine nic Taillier
Laurala of Bowden
HL Fiondel Songspinner
Mistress Diachba the Weaver
HL Caera Wyther

Many thanks to Lady Kathryn Wynterbourne for taking notes, and my
apologies to anyone whose name I have overlooked in these minutes!

HL Giraude opened the meeting with a suggestion that the Guild consider
amending the Guild Charter to have Guild meetings at events other than
Crown and Coronation.  During her time as Guild Head, it has been very
difficult to reserve a meeting room at Crown Tournaments and Coronations
due to the lack of space/number of people and Royal meetings at the
event sites.  Having meetings in crowded, noisy Commons Areas is less
than optimal.  Mistress Diachba said that we should be very cautious
about making any changes to the Charter.  When the Guild was founded,
these meeting dates were chosen very specifically. Crown, Coronation and
Lilies are Royal events which is why they were chosen.  Mistress Esther
volunteered to contact other Guild heads to see how other Guilds
schedule their meetings – how often, at what events, etc. If any changes
are made to the schedule of Fiber and Needle Guild meetings, it would
only be after careful research, discussion and a vote.

Gryphon’s Mark made an offer to the Guild for meeting space at their
site, and the opportunity to build a permanent structure for Guild
activities should we desire.

Giraude did not have many progress updates on the new Guild website.
The domain name discussed at the previous meeting,
calontirfiberandneedleguild.org, is available.  Mistress Diachba asked
what sorts of things would we want to put up first on a basic website.
Giraude answered that we would want a description of the Guild and what
we do, have the Charter posted, and a list of officers.  Diachba
suggested that we set a deadline to get at least this much accomplished.
  The members agreed that the upcoming Crown Tournament would be the
deadline for having a basic website set up.  The eventual goal is to
have this information, plus a searchable directory so that people can
find someone knowledgeable about specific arts/sciences in their area
from whom to learn.

The next topic of discussion was classes at Lilies.  Master Vincent de
Vere and HL Kristine Nic Taillier have offered the use of the tent next
to the Harp during the day for both formal and informal Fiber and Needle
Guild classes and workshops.  When instructions sign up to teach classes
through the Lilies website, they can indicate “Harp A&S” as the location
for their classes.  April 10th is the cutoff date to get the classes
listed in the Lilies site book.  Mistress Esther will once again be the
Guild’s class coordinator for Lilies.  People wishing to teach classes
at the new space can also email Mistress Esther with their name, the
class name, a brief description, fee, class size limit, and the times
they wish to teach.

Maintaining a high level of visibility for the Guild at this new tent is
going to be very crucial.  HL Johanne mentioned that Tammy [Lady
Twilleliah nic Tallier] will be creating a Guild banner, and the Guild
will also be using the red silk banner that was painted for us for the
“Guild War” Lilies.  Last year at Lilies the Fiber Arts tent was a
smaller tent that was back from the main road, so our visibility was
reduced last year, and we need to be sure that our presence at Lilies
does not suffer a further decline.

Lady Kathryn Wynterbourne proposed that the Fiber and Needle Guild to
sponsor a day of craft and fiber activities at the Youth Tent at Lilies,
and would further like to challenge the other Guilds of Calontir to do
the same.  This idea was met with much enthusiasm, and possible kids
projects were discussed.  Kathryn will be in charge of the challenge.

The Guild will also be having another “Feel of Calontir” at Lilies,
which will be organized by HL Kathryn Daggett.  It was agreed that
having “Feel of Calontir” in conjuction with the Cooks Guild “Taste of
Calontir” worked well last year.  The Fiber and Needle Guild has also
been invited to have a “Feel of Calontir” at the upcoming Clothier’s
Seminar, and Guild members are encouraged to bring items of fiber and
needle work to display, and to spend a bit of time at the display table
talking to people about the Guild.
Guild elections will also be held at the meeting at Lilies.  HL Giraude
will be stepping down as Guild Head after serving for two years.  Anyone
who would like to serve as Guild Head, Assistant Guild Head, or as any
other officer should consider running.

The final item of business discussed was the group sewing day the Guild
hosted at Toys for Tots.  The sewing day was a very successful activity.
  Many Guild members gathered to work on the pilgrim bags, and Lady
Sibilla also had organized a group who sewed on smaller pouches.  Gyda
had donated a woven wool band that was used as straps for the bags, HL
Kathryn Wynterbourne embroidered medallions with the Calon Cross and the
striking falcon to applique on the bags, and many hands cut, stitched,
and appliqued to complete five pilgrim bags, with other bags cut and
ready to complete at a later date.  The Guild gained a few new members
that day, and we will plan another sewing day once we have heard from
Countess Issabell, TRM’s chamberlain, about what Their Majesties would
most like for us to make for them as largesse or for Crown use.

Yours in Service,
HL Giraude Benet
Guild Head
Calontir Fiber and Needle Guild