Several have mentioned - Well, what about being welcomed by the Laurels and
Pelicans? To which I respond - Please don't.

(( Note: This is mine, and only MY, personal, opinion - DO NOT TAKE THIS as
indicative of all equestrian member thoughts, as it is NOT representative
of every individual's experience or personal journey or viewpoint.))

Eowyth's Personal Opinion (EPO) (since I have not seen an equestrian
comment on this thread and I feel like there should be *some*
representation because people keep mentioning us):

I would be saddened and _slightly_ disappointed for the Laurels OR the
Pelicans to recognize me for my *skills* on the equestrian martial field,
as opposed to my knowledge or service given to the Kingdom & Knowne Worlde.

I want the Laurels to recognize my work & teaching on equestrian & horse
training techniques, equine breeding knowledge, research into the history
of horses in the medieval ages, clothing horses in the medieval times,
rider clothing, and my (currently budding) knowledge of leather-working or
metal-working as it applies to equestrian things (and other things, as the
scope expands). And my teaching & sharing of the above (and to be
discovered) knowledge with others. But Not because I'm a hot lance, look
good, and score well on the jousting field.

I want the Pelicans to recognize my service as a retainer for the Kingdom,
as local Exchequer, as a Kingdom Officer's Deputy, a Kingdom Officer (one
day), a Society Officer's Deputy, a Society Officer (one day), an event
steward & crew chief, as a marshal, and as a contributing member to the
Kingdom and the Knowne Worlde. And not because I can hold my own in the
Lysts.

My skills as an equestrian have little or *nothing* to do with my research,
service, or creative products (i.e. Caparisons, bridles, etc.). And to have
them shoved together "because" makes my heart heavy and my head hurt. I
feel that one part of what I do is simply being overlooked because it
doesn't "fit" anywhere or that my other accomplishments are being pushed
aside because that skill is more "ooh shiny" (because ponies) than those
Laurel-type items (such as research, etc.) or Pelican-type items (such as
serving as a Local/Kingdom/Society officer, etc.).

Which is why I was thrilled, delighted, and ecstatic when the Eo orders
were created - FINALLY. Finally, the *skills* on the field would be
recognized for what they were - PROWESS on the Martial Field. Not service
as a torse or teaching & creating as a leather mallet. How to become a Peer
from there? Well - that's another discussion (no really - these are two
separate discussions, albeit related).

If the Laurels or Pelicans were to one day think that I am worthy enough to
be considered a fellow member of Their Orders, I would *hope* from the
deepest parts of my heart that it would be not because "You're a good
equestrian on the field" but because I actually fit what it means to be a
Laurel or Pelican. Because I have created (or researched) amazing medieval
topics or I have served to the utmost of my capacity. Not because I know
how to ride & compete.

Anyway, all that to say - those who know me well, know where I stand on the
"Additional Peerage" subject, but that opinion has nothing to do with this
opinion of I do not believe that a Skilled Equestrian should be considered
a Pelican or a Laurel based on Prowess (as the two orders currently stand
and are defined as). I want to earn those Accolades based on the Merits
befitting a Laurel or Pelican, and I don't consider _martial_ prowess to be
included in what defines a Pelican or Laurel.

My quarter & change opinion. Sorry for the rambling.

Ever & always in service,

Eowyth þa Siðend