Some commentary by BoD members reaffirm Monica's take on things. I will repost here for those not on FB

Why I Voted No
I went to Milpitas Thursday evening thinking that I would vote yes to the proposal to add an additional peerage to the Society for Creative Anachronism and the measure would probably be passed by the Board of Directors. We received a flood of comments from the membership over the last several days and I took the time to read each and every one, sometimes over and over.

The comments that continued to resonate with something deep within me were from Knights and Crowns of the known world who declared forthrightly that prowess was prowess and that those who displayed peer like qualities and mastery with rapier and or cut & thrust weapons should be recognized by the Order of the Chivalry.

In my heart, I too believed this but I had been saying for years that this ship had sailed and my brothers and sisters in the Order would never accept a rapier combatant.

I woke up last night at 3 AM wrestling with my conscience and experienced a moment of clarity. To try and get it right at least one more time we had to call the ship back. So I voted no to the proposal to add an additional peerage - not because I didn't believe that those who mastered rapier / cut & thrust shouldn't be called Masters of Defense but because I believe they should be called Sir.

Unless I manage to really muck things up, I should be on the BoD for at least another couple of years. If in the next year a Crown hasn't stepped up and elevated a deserving rapier fighter into the Chiv or moved us significantly closer to this goal, then I will champion the Master of Defense peerage with all my energy and passion.

I understand that my actions today will be met with disappointment in some quarters and cheers in others, but this was not a victory for those who are anti rapier. I hope and believe instead that this is a giant step in the direction of the most appropriate recognition for many deserving people.

Warm regards,
Andrew Coleman / Ailgheanan