Cat Sense, a book by John Bradshaw, has a great section on the history of cats and humans.  The Classical-Greek-through-16th-century-Western-Europe segment is about 12 pages long, and all of chapters two and three are well worth a look even if you don't like cats, because they highlight how the animals were perceived in different times and places.

Warning for the very sensitive: while fairly matter-of-fact rather than graphic, there's some discussion of killing and mention of animal torture.

I wish Bradshaw had included references to more than just "the most important" of his sources among the academic journal papers, but since the book is basic enough for a layman like me to understand, and cheap enough to afford, he doesn't lose many points.

Bradshaw also mentions a couple history books in his "Further Reading" list that might be of interest to scadians: Engel's Classical Cats, and Vechten's The Tiger in the House.

*Mythbusting note:  According to Bradshaw, cats being blamed for the Black Plague was post-period, and modernly "the black [fur color] mutation is as common in Germany and France as it is in Greece, Israel, or North Africa, all of which were outside the influence of the medieval Catholic Church."

-Ingibiorg, who likes cats

P.S.
If you're reading this, Stefan, feel free to add it to the "cats" section in your florilegium.