I have some maroon/oxblood leather I can donate, if wanted.

Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 18:06:50 -0600
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MAGMOR] Wednesday is Gathering
To: [log in to unmask]

For those who want to learn bookbinding--I will provide paper for the books (thanks, Gyda!) but there are some things you will need.
paper scissors to cut the pages and maybe the chipboard for the covers
ruler
pencil
a folder for the quires--traditionally bone, I have a piece of hard plastic--you could use the back of a comb--it just needs to be hard and smooth to make sharp creases in the paper.
a heavy-duty needle--one sharp (for making holes)
a tapestry needle--something fairly large, but dull; so you don't bleed on the pages when you poke yourself (and you will)
white button hole thread
2 cover boards--I have some chipboard but not enough;  a heavy, non-corrugated cardboard would work or layered thinner chipboard; or if you want, wood boards cut to size and up to 1/4 inch think
beeswax for the thread ( this can be shared--I have some)
exacto knife or utility knife to trim the pages
clamps--c-clamps or big clips to hold the pages together for trimming.
We will need fabric or leather to cover the boards by the Feb meeting--when I find out how many of you there are, we can talk about what to cover the books with.

The first night, we will try to get the paper cut and prepared for sewing and prepare the covers.
The second night (in February) we will trim the pages, sew together the quires, attach the cover boards and cover the books.
You will have to take them home to press them flat while they dry.
Natalya