Hi,

Just a note of caution that is slightly off-topic from your duration of
exclusivity question... often times the researchers are happy to agree
to a limited terms agreement with you the artist, without realizing that
the journal they are submitting to requires all commercial rights. They
sign the forms needed to submit their paper, without paying attention to
the fine print that 1) asks if they are the rights-holder, and 2)
insists that they sign away all commercial rights. I found this out the
hard way. Sometimes it takes some digging, but you can usually find the
agreement on the journal's website under information for submissions.
And of course, if that is the journal's standard policy, it's always
worth asking if they make exceptions (although when I'm working with
researchers, I've had a hard time figuring out who to ask at the journal).

When the journals DO require All-commercial-rights, I haven't come up
with a good pricing solution. Oftentimes the researchers are stretched
to the limit paying my base-price, let alone paying for the additional
All-Commercial-Rights, and it frustrates me that it's the journal's
requirements and yet they have to pay...

Good luck!
Nicolle

Nicolle R. Fuller, Sayo-Art LLC
Illustration, Art & Design