congratulations!!

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 12:13 PM, [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Wow Diana, sounds fantastic. Can't wait to check it out!
Jenny

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 16, 2015, at 8:17 AM, Diana Marques <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Dear All,

some of you have heard me talk about “Skin & Bones” at the annual conference or at the GNSI-DC chapter. So I thought I would share the good news that the new mobile app for the Smithsonian’s Natural History Museum is finally out!

Two years in the making, this app uses augmented reality technology to digitally add details to several skeletons on display at the Bone Hall. Visitors to the oldest exhibit in the institution (dating back to the 1880s) can see how specimens move or look in life, by pointing their mobile devices to the skeletons. To create the static and animated 3D graphics we built some from scratch, used CT scanning, micro CT scanning, laser and optical scanning and also photogrammetry. They are detailed and scientifically correct, including a 12 feet Steller’s Sea Cow, an Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake skull sinking its fangs into a virtual rodent and a Pileated Woodpecker with its long tongue apparatus, among others.

If you are local make sure to stop by for a visit, or if DC is not close to you, download Skin & Bones anyway to enjoy the many videos and activities!

Check out more info herehere and download here.

Best,
Diana