Dear Scarab Experts:

The Coconut Rhinoceros Beetle (*Oryctes rhinoceros*) was accidentally
introduced to Hawaii 13 months ago.  The beetle is very destructive to a
variety of palm trees, and its presence in Hawaii is a problem for the
state's economy, agriculture, and tourism.  Many people are working to
contain and eradicate the species from Hawaii so that it will not spread
within the archipelago or to other regions.

Aubrey Moore (University of Guam) and others have noted that adults of *Oryctes
rhinoceros *are not strongly attracted to lights at night.  This
corroborates Gressitt (1953: 50-51):

"The adult beetles. being nocturnal in habit, are attracted to artificial
lights

at mght. However, the attraction Îs apparently not very strong. Most records

obtained of beetles entering houses have been between 8:00 and 8 :45 p.m.

(See table 5). J. S. Armstrong informs me that in Apia he observed
them attracted up to 9 :00 p.m. Some have stated that the beet!es are not,
or only

rarely, attracted to light. Pastor Fey told me that while he lived in tents
just

after his return to Koror from BabeIthuap in the fall of 1945, two or three

adults were attracted every night. This is apparently an index of a very
dense

population in view of the accumulated records. One adult was observed flying

about a lime tree and a breadfruit tree at 5 :00 o'clock on a dull rainy
afternoon

(October 9) in NgiwaI. Flight in cages was noticed at 5:20 p.m. A fema!e

has been seen to move its head rapidly up and down just before taking to
flight."

We are interested in information on the *Oryctes rhinoceros* flight
behavior (or other species of *Oryctes*):

1) Do you have experience collecting *Oryctes* in high numbers at lights?
2) If *Oryctes* is strongly attracted to light, what types of lights are
they attracted to?
3) What time at night is *Oryctes* most attracted to lights?
4) Is flight related to season, moon, rains, or temperature?

Many thanks for your observations and assistance!  With your help, we hope
to prevent the spread of this species to other regions.

Sincerely,
mary liz jameson

--
Mary Liz Jameson, PhD