In this particular instance, it was an issue of how do we hold a ball during an event with a ball theme when we don't have time for it. The only time to do it was against feast. So we had to be creative with how to have a feast in an event that went late, but didn't have all the room in the world.

The result was a buffet instead of a sit down dinner. But if you don't have a seat capacity to identify who paid, then anyone/everyone can simply grab food without controls. The only way to ensure everyone who eats pays was to have everyone pay and everyone eat. Hence, a combined fee with feast included for everyone.

A different site and we would have done it "normally".