Another brand to try is Lyra; they are also "oil-based." I use them in
conjunction with Faber-Castell. Another favorite, albeit a much "drier"
feel is Derwent Studio pencils. And when I'm feeling flush, I've been known
to splurge on Caran dAche.

 I've been using an Xacto School Pro electric pencil sharpener for over 3
years with great success.

MaryBeth Hinrichs

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 2:29 PM, Kathleen Garness <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> I would give them a try, Maia, if you are so inclined. I bought a small
> selection of primary and secondary colors to check them out.
>
> I didn't see any difference in working quality over FC and Prismas, so it
> feels hard to justify the extra cost on a set basis, but maybe they will
> prove themselves over time. Has anyone done lightfastness tests with all
> these, the way the gentleman who put up the Handprint website did with all
> the watercolors?
>
> Kathy
>

> On Feb 18, 2015, at 10:59 AM, Maia Sanders wrote:
>
> This oil-based-wax-based distinction is a little confusing to me, I had
> all colored pencils except the water soluble ones categorized as wax. I
> suppose you can use the same solvent for both. It does explain some of the
> difference in working quality.
> I have been trying the polychromos for a couple years, and the working
> quality is somehow "short" compared to PC and frustrating to me.
>
> I have a lovely metal boxed set of polychromos gifted me by my brother,
> and I honestly have been using it as a teaching set. I will try it in the
> studio a little while, I do have to say there are no breakages at all,
> after some fairly unkind treatment!  But I suspect the working quality will
> still be annoying to me. I think I'm going to try a small number of Derwent
> color soft, I really like their water soluble Graphitint pencils
> for sketching out in the world.
>
> I wonder about the caran d'ache line, Luminance. They are claiming to be
> non-breaking, and lightfast. They are also wax-based.... But, $4 each
> pencil.  Holy cow that's a costly pencil! But if there is no breakage and I
> can allow original color pencil drawings to escape their light resistant
> vault, might they be worth it?
>
> Thanks
>
> Maia

> instructions at