Maia,
This has been an on going problem for years now.  Three years ago I grew disgusted and had my students change to Faber-Castell.  That semester they really did not know the difference, but I did.  For me, they just did not blend as well.  The following semester I went back to Prisma Color, with a difference.  Every time a student had problems with a pencil (you listed them all!) I called Dick Blick (from whom we get our supplies) and they replaced the pencil-s free of charge.  I hoped that might encourage Sanford to do something about quality control.  No luck yet.

Jane

From: Maia Sanders
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 5:53 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [SCIART] Time to abandon prismacolor?

I recently restocked my prismacolors to prepare for a series of CP illustrations, and in refreshing my color pencil skills I notice a significant reduction in quality, with many breakages, lead slipping from the casing, wood splintering when sharpening, etc- the only thing that hasn't changed for the worse is the working quality of the pencil.

Researching for five minutes leads me to believe the quality has gone to the dogs ( no offense to dogs of quality!) since the product was sold and manufacturing moved to Mexico.

Question is: what are people using for colored pencil these days? Are they just putting up with prismacolor or is there some better alternative? I know prismacolor are fairly inexpensive and able to restock easily. But the good price goes away when you have to sharpen a new pencil to 3" long to get a point on it.

Thanks all,

Maia