Westlitters,
Hi, I've been asked to share this cfp for a new volume: Critical Insights: Southwestern Literature.  If interested, reply to the editor, whose email address is below, not to this list.   -Tom

Critical Insights: Southwestern Literature will contain an introductory chapter written by the editor, ten chapters providing critical readings of the work of ten writers whose writing reflects the Southwestern region of the United States, and four chapters that provide critical context by offering an overview of important areas of study within the field of Southwestern Literature.

Chapters should be written with an upper high school level and undergraduate readership in mind.

Representative authors may include Leslie Marmon Silko, Sandra Cisneros, Willa Cather, Cormac McCarthy, Tony Hillerman, Dagberto Gilb, Ana Castillo, Denise Chavez, Rudolfo Anaya, and N. Scott Momaday. Areas of study within the field of Southwestern Literature may include Native American literature, Chicana/o literature, Ecocriticism, and Genre/History/Film. (This last area of study remains flexible. What I envision for the book is that the essays concerning the areas of study within the field of studies will provide a representative overview of the different areas of critical inquiry in Southwestern literature and the critical readings of the ten writers will function as representative examples of the diversity of writing within Southwestern literature.) Proposals focused on other writers or other areas of study within the Southwest region, are very much welcome and may be considered, though.

As far as additional information about the project goes, most of the essays will be 5,000 words in length and a contract and slight stipend is involved ($250.00 for most, or all, essays). Since the book will be developed by Grey House Publishing and marketed under the Salem Press brand, Grey House Publishing will take care of these matters. This is, of course, peer-reviewed—and requested.

Completed critical context essays will be due to the volume editor on Friday, May 1, 2015 and completed critical reading essays will be due to the volume editor on Friday, May 15, 2015. For those interested in contributing to this volume, I’m asking that people let me know as soon as possible and no later than Monday, March 2, 2015. Notifications of acceptance will go out by Monday, March, 23, 2015. I’m also requesting that contributors provide me with a 250-500 word abstract of your eventual chapter submission and a short biographical statement and/or CV with complete contact information including full name, preferred mailing address and zip code, and preferred email address. I must forward these documents to the Managing Editor at Grey House Publishing.

Please feel free to email me at [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask] with your reply, and also any additional questions or suggestions. If you know of any other scholars or colleagues who might be interested in participating in the project, I ask that you share with them the attached CFP.

Thanks,

Will

William Brannon, Ph.D.

Professor of English
Collin College

---
Tom Lynch
Professor
Chair, Undergraduate Studies
Editor, Western American Literature
Department of English
202 Andrews Hall
P.O. Box 880333
University of Nebraska, Lincoln
Lincoln, NE  68588-0333
Our lives are frittered away by e-mail  - H. D. Thoreau

New Books:

The Bioregional Imagination: Literature, Ecology, Place

Homepage
Faculty Page