Very nice, Kaz, Congratz!

From: Chris Nogy [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2015 2:07 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CALONTIR] Kaz made the papers!

Seems as the fates have smiled.  About a week after my return from
Dragonship's Haven, I was contacted by the Finlandia Foundation in DC asking
if I would consider placing an instrument in their auction at their annual
Kalevala Gala to be held next month at the Finnish embassy in DC.  After a
bit of research to determine the validity of the request, I agreed.

Now it looks like the instrument I am building will be on display either in
the Embassy or the Cultural Center of the Library of Congress until it is
auctioned, and a few other interesting developments have opened up with
Finlandia.  Might mean a few lectures in DC (I personally am hoping to
wrangle an educational trip to Finland for me and the family).

Anyway, here is the little Jouhikko I built for them.  Tabitha, my liason
with Finlandia, designed it just as any other customer would, and I turned
it into wood and strings.  It will be interesting to see what an embassy
crowd will be willing to give for something like this.

Anyway, here's the picture.

www.nogy.net/kaz/DOne.jpg

Because Finland wasn't until about a hundred years ago (it was Swede) we
don't have any actual evidence of this regions version of the bowed drone
lyre that is everywhere around Finland, so a lot is guessing, but I think
the boat-bottomed, single chanter string instrument is likely the best
guess.  This one is hard lime with a spruce body, and ornamented with Sami /
Lapland Shaman Drum imagery.  I kinda like it.  Hope you do too.

Kaz

  _____

No virus found in this message.
Internal Virus Database is out of date.

lists do not accept incoming email from Yahoo.com, AOL.com or Dropbox.com
due to their DMARC policies.