Seems as the fates have smiled.  About a week after my return from Dragonship's Haven, I was contacted by the Finlandia Foundation in DC asking if I would consider placing an instrument in their auction at their annual Kalevala Gala to be held next month at the Finnish embassy in DC.  After a bit of research to determine the validity of the request, I agreed.

Now it looks like the instrument I am building will be on display either in the Embassy or the Cultural Center of the Library of Congress until it is auctioned, and a few other interesting developments have opened up with Finlandia.  Might mean a few lectures in DC (I personally am hoping to wrangle an educational trip to Finland for me and the family).

Anyway, here is the little Jouhikko I built for them.  Tabitha, my liason with Finlandia, designed it just as any other customer would, and I turned it into wood and strings.  It will be interesting to see what an embassy crowd will be willing to give for something like this.

Anyway, here's the picture.

www.nogy.net/kaz/DOne.jpg

Because Finland wasn't until about a hundred years ago (it was Swede) we don't have any actual evidence of this regions version of the bowed drone lyre that is everywhere around Finland, so a lot is guessing, but I think the boat-bottomed, single chanter string instrument is likely the best guess.  This one is hard lime with a spruce body, and ornamented with Sami / Lapland Shaman Drum imagery.  I kinda like it.  Hope you do too.

Kaz