If you are in an academic or reserach orgainization you may have access to
Maya and 3-D studio Max, also Rhino and Mimics.  Rhino and Mimics are a bit
more specific to 3-D modeling of specific data sets like MRI and 3-D
scans as opposed to z-Brush which creates an artist interpretation of an
object.

Mimics and Studio Max have a bit of a learning curve but are far more
capable. They also cost quite a bit though if you are a teacher Studio Max
and Maya can be gotten for very little money or are free.