Hi everyone,

I wonder if anyone would have any suggestions for resources for pricing for
commissioned scientific illustrations? I am a beginning science illustrator
(I have no formal qualifications in this area, besides my degree in science
and having done Lana Johnsons Entomological Illustration class), so would
obviously expect a lower rate than someone with lots of experience. The
thing is I really have no idea what to charge, besides having read not to
use an hourly rate (at this stage no doubt much longer than an experienced
pro anyway). I have been asked to do some illustrations for a professor at
my university and am at a loss for what to sort of fee would be reasonable.

 I have heard of the graphic artists guild handbook for pricing and wonder
if that would also be suitable for scientific illustrators? The only other
thing is that I am in New Zealand and I'm guessing that rates here would be
different again than they are in the US. Do any illustrators from
'down-under' use these guidelines at all?

Basically I wonder if any of you experienced illustrators would be able to
point me in the direction of any other resources relating to pricing- I
would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

Emma

www.scientific.emmascheltema.com