Wow- thanks for the help Jeremy, Britt and Nicole! The links provided for further research are really helpful- this has given me a great starting spot to working this out.

Britt- thank you for your detailed explanation- its very useful. That's also a good tip about doubling the time required to do the work- from the projects I have done so far, I have found I'm usually way underestimating how long it will take to do!

Nicolle- thanks for the links- the ami one is really useful! I also do tend to feel guilty charging for illustrations I have done, but that is a good point about bringing down price expectations for other people- its a good thing to keep reminding myself!! I will also look up the other book you mentioned- sounds good!

Thanks so much again for all of your help- I see I have a bit of work to do on this but your tips are invaluable, this list-serv has been such a help over the last few months!

Kind regards,
Emma