I am reposting this with the permission of the author.

An Open Letter to the Society Seneschal and the BOD,

My name is Amy, and I am writing to express my personal concern over the ACCEPS statement recently released by the BOD. I haven’t played in the SCA in over fifteen years, so perhaps my opinion is of little weight but my ties to this organization are still strong. I don’t have any story about bitterness or politics chasing me from SCA, I turned eighteen, went to college and just drifted away. Why then do I feel the need to write regarding this issue? The “creator of the ACCEPS program” whose supposed misdeeds you have now publicly aired can only be one of two people – my father or my stepmother.

I’m going to be honest and say that I don’t know the entire story of ACCEPS. It was founded when I was a sophomore in college and clearly had more important things to do with my time then pay attention to how my parents were currently volunteering their time within the SCA. I do however know these people, these people who have given so much and whose good name and hard work is now being dragged through the mud.
My father joined the SCA when I was only two years old, and it was from him that I learned about giving selflessly of your time. I watched him set up camps for other people, run events, run list fields, teach young fighters, serve king after king, become a Knight, and a Pelican, and a Baron. Watching him I learned about honor, and admitting defeat, and keeping friendships in the face of hardship. Watching him I learned about having a deep love for an organization and an idea, and about the importance of paying back to something that you feel gives you so much. He’s gotten older now, and his knees bother him, but still he goes to help with fighter practices and runs events, and volunteers to help.

At the death of my mother, my stepmother suddenly found herself the guardian of three bereaved teenage girls. It wasn’t an easy journey for any of us, but she was always there when I needed her. She taught me to sew, nurtured my love for theatre, and taught me to speak up for myself when it was called for. She was there with me, holding my hand when I had to have a sudden emergency
c-section with my first child. She has always been there for me when I was scared. I know that she doesn’t always show it – but she is full of love, and she gives it through her service.

So I ask the BOD, where is your proof? Where is the copy of the emails or the requests? Where is your due diligence? To say that the creator was willfully negligent in their duties? Where is your proof? All across this known world of ours there are those who trust you and take you at your word – and now your word points at my parents and decries them. So I ask, where is your proof? If you truly suspected that there was a serious security issue, why even allow them to continue to finish out their open events? Wouldn’t that be reckless endangerment of the privacy of all those currently involved in transactions? You state that you originally didn’t say anything because of “the need to stay silent to protect the security of everyone’s credit card information on ACCEPS”. How exactly does your being silent boost internet security and safety? How exactly does NOT informing people of a potential security threat serve the people of the SCA?

My parents are people, hardworking volunteers who still have real lives. My father has a full time job, they have six children, one of whom is still at home, eight grandchildren, my stepmother runs archery for their shire, and my father helps with the fighting as much as he can. They attend, plan, and autocrat events. They are perfect examples of the lifeblood of the SCA, and yet you have caused them to become a source of speculation and derision for the known world. There are many people who do not know my parents, who haven’t seen them give of their time so consistently, who haven’t seen them support and help those around them, who haven’t seen them raise a family or hold their grandbabies in their arms. These people simply believe you, they simply believe that these hardworking people are willfully and criminally negligent. I hope that these people read my letter, learn about my parents and begin to doubt the statement of the BOD. I also hope that you will consider rescinding your allegations until such time as you can provide substantial proof to support them.

Sincerely,
Amy Munoz
Once known as Cadi the Younger