Thanks much! You were one of the people I considered asking directly. And I will check in with Glendon as well.

Most sincerely,
Sara

At 02:05 PM 4/22/2015, you wrote:
Hi Sara,

One could use an ipad as a tool to make illustrations and for example Glendon Mellow does that, but I bet he doesn't only uses an ipad. With the right pen ( https://store.wacom.com/us/en/product/CS600PK/ the Intuos Creative Stylus 2 and the right apps (Photoshop or Bamboo paper for example) you can go a long way, especially if you are making art that is for web publication. But for other stuff I would go for a pc or a mac along with a good tablet. if she wants to have the experience of drawing on the screen itself she could also look for a cintiq companion. the first generation is cheaper now and the second generation is becoming more and more promising as a full fledged solution (1st gen: https://store.wacom.com/us/en/product/DTHW1300L/ )

I have an ipad now for 2 years and although I can illustrate on it I find myself not doing it: it's too small and I don't have the control my cintiqs are giving me. But for a real experience with illustrating on ipad ask Glendon.

Mieke

Mieke Roth
Science illustrator
http://miekeroth.com
+31 (0) 6 37 28 08 99

Op 22 apr. 2015 om 20:45 heeft Sara Taliaferro <[log in to unmask]> het volgende geschreven:

Dear Folks,

One of my students asked if I use or know of anyone who uses an app on their iPad to do illustration work. I replied that I knew of people who liked to take the iPad on trips and sketch with it, but I was not aware that anyone produced scientific illustrations for publication on their iPads. She is teetering on the brink of buying an Intuos pad, which is what I would suggest.

How would you have advised her (or me)? Am I so "last generation" in my thinking?

Most sincerely,
Sara