It is possible to do quite a bit on an iPad with the right art program and some talent.

James Morrison (now living in Paris) has done some interesting work with an iPad while volunteering
in Smithsonian's Paleo Dept. He also used zBrush on a regular computer with a Intuos pad.
https://gnsi.org/event/meeting/digital-clay-sculpting-zbrush

I think he uses Procreate2. There are a bunch reviewed here:
http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/features/illustration/8-best-apps-for-artists-draw-sketch-paint-on-your-ipad
http://www.creativebloq.com/digital-art/art-on-the-ipad-1232669

Britt

On 4/22/15 2:45 PM, Sara Taliaferro wrote:
> Dear Folks,
>
> One of my students asked if I use or know of anyone who uses an app on their iPad to do illustration
> work. I replied that I knew of people who liked to take the iPad on trips and sketch with it, but I
> was not aware that anyone produced scientific illustrations for publication on their iPads. She is
> teetering on the brink of buying an Intuos pad, which is what I would suggest.
>
> How would you have advised her (or me)? Am I so "last generation" in my thinking?
>
> Most sincerely,
> Sara

Britt Griswold/SED Code 600
TRAX/Maslow Media Group