Dear All,

             Can anybody explain frequency separation in Photoshop? It's
generally used for retouching faces without affecting colour underneath.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo6iBmYnqh8

I saw it demonstrated at a seminar by photographer Christian Fletcher.
http://www.christianfletcher.com.au/photographs/  I thought I could use it
to put sharpening on another layer and indeed this works. I did this by
deleting the blurred "Low" layer and applying sharpening on the frequency
separation "Top" layer. This works and you can turn down the opacity of the
sharpening or deep etch it. However the top layer is already sharpened by
the process, resulting in over-sharpening if I use my usual smart sharpen
and then unsharp mask. I gather this is to counteract the usual blurring?
The process doesn't work if you don't blur the "Low" layer. If I knew what
sort of sharpening the process applies perhaps I could compensate better.
I'll send this to the list too.

Thanks,

Geoff