Hi Laura,

Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions as I am in pretty much the same position as you- I would be very interested in seeing the advice you get!

You might find this article rather interesting- I certainly did- however I am not 100% sure how relevant it is to the scientific illustration field:
https://medium.com/i-m-h-o/dont-go-to-art-school-138c5efd45e9

Good luck- I really liked the work you have on your website :)

Emma

Scientific and Natural History Illustration