Gretchen,

If cutting down Claybord on a saw, I'd be careful of exposed edges (are the edges of the Clayboard finished/sealed - I don't recall). Unsealed edges would be a point of entry for humidity in particular. I would recommend sealing any exposed edges - gesso neatly applied should do the trick. Of course, framing is a considerationÖ if the Clayboard will be "floated" then edges would be visible. I recently framed a scratchboard piece on Claybord (not my own work), and i "hid" the edges behind the mat (the mat being supported underneath to account for the 1/8-inch depth of the Claybord).

If students won't be cutting boards down, then this is moot. But might be a consideration for your own future work.

>>> www.facebook.com/gkhalpert