Gail,

I joined Twitter *after* the storm because I couldn't stand the thought of
yet another reason to be attached to my devices. *However*, I think it will
be more useful than any other network I use, such as LinkIn and Facebook. I
have a professional FB page, but it gets little attention, especially since
FB decided who sees what posts when. One has to pay to boost their posts to
where it is more useful, which I haven't had time to do yet.

Emily is spot on regarding being part of one's community. In Providence,
nearly all my work was word of mouth. When I moved to NYS, I had to start
over, essentially from scratch. Because I am active in my community, I was
offered what would have been the largest freelance job of my working
career….had I agreed to an undisclosed work-for-hire contract. (Rewind, put
my career over that of educating big business on the rights of
illustrators.) But that offer came about only because of being social.
There was no job posting to apply for, just "I heard you did this, and
so-and-so is in the market".

See you in PA!
Gretchen

Gretchen Halpert