From: Matt Celeskey <[log in to unmask]>
To: SCIART-L <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wed, Apr 22, 2015 3:38 pm
Subject: Re: [SCIART] iPad for illustration work?

The past year, I've been playing around with creating illustrations on an iPad—I commute about 10 hours a week and have been working on ways to use that time to hone my digital illustration skills. I haven't published any of the pieces (yet), but I've been posting several on Twitter:

I'm using Procreate and a Wacom Intuos Creative Stylus 1 on a 2-year old iPad, but I've been pretty happy with what I've been able to accomplish. There is a big tradeoff in resolution and available layers—I'm working on images about 3500px x 2400px and am limited to 7 layers. So I wouldn't recommend it for particularly large or complicated pieces. That said, I haven't found too many limits as far as the level of detail—the brushy look of my pieces is more my working style than any limitations of the medium. The app does crash somewhat frequently (about once every couple of hours), but I've never lost work after a crash.

One nice feature of Procreate is that it can export a time-lapse video of your pieces, which is a great way to review and refine your process. I've uploaded one of mine here:

Hope this is helpful—
-Matt.

Matt Celeskey