“Officially” the last wild Passenger pigeon was shot in 1900.   Newer writing supports a 1901 date for the collection of another free ranging individual.   Martha, the lone surviving captive died in the Cincinnati Zoo  in 1914.  I have never seen photographs of wild individuals, only captives.

I did a painting based on Frank Chapman’s last specimen of the Carolina parakeet, collected in Florida in 1904.  (The specimen I actually worked from is housed in the American Museum of Natural History in New York).  By odd coincidence, the last captive Carolina parakeet died at the Cincinnati Zoo in 1914.   I have seen only a few images of captive Carolina parakeet, no films, and no “wild images”.   I spoke with Mary Boughton Fuertes (Louis Agassiz Fuertes’ daughter) in the early 1980’s, and asked her whether she knew of any pictures of Carolina parakeets or Passenger pigeons taken in the wild.  She was quite old at the time but had an extraordinary clear memory.  She only knew of an unpublished watercolor painting by her dad of a captive Carolina parakeet.   That watercolor has subsequently been shown on the Cornell University bird laboratory site.

I’m afraid neither Thomas Edison, nor the French scientist Étienne-Jules Marey ever photographed either of those two species.

Mike Rothman